Friday, September 14, 2007

Thought of the Day: Random acts of kindness

Have you ever seen the commercial where someone witnesses another person doing something nice for another person or themselves, and in turn does the same for someone else? I was at Wild Oats yesterday (my home away from home, away from Borders), and after I had put my groceries in my car, began walking my cart back to the front of the store. It was especially warm yesterday, and I was wearing a sweater in rebellion, so my heat exhaustion was obvious. There was a woman in the car across the street from mine walking her cart back as well, and as I turned to walk towards the store, smiled at me, and said, "Let me take that cart for you..." It seems like such a small thing as I am writing this down, but at the time, it completely changed my mood. The drive home, during rush hour (which is insane in Phoenix), seemed like so much less of a chore, as I consciously tried to be courteous to other drivers. This approach to helping out others around me, continued all day - all because another woman offered to take my cart. I believe, no matter how small the favor, if we can be more aware of the treatment we give others around us, the world will be a better place. People would start caring more about others, which in turn, would make them care more about world and environment around them. And then we would all recycle and live in peace. Ok, maybe I'm getting carried away, but I can dream.


"Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."
- Mother Teresa

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Laura, Well I barely know you but I just have to tell you that I love reading your "thoughts". You are a great writer. Thanks for sharing. I hope you survive the Arizona heat!

Carlee said...

I am sooo ready for a new post!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it suprise you how such little acts of kindness can change your whole day in such a big way? Thank you for the story, It was very helpful. Since We're on the subject, There is an actual
Random Acts of Kindness
Week!! Never knew that until a few days ago, but OK! Again thank you!