Thursday, September 27, 2007

Scrapbooking, my worst nightmare.

There are a few things in this world that I have always wished I could do, but have never had the talent. I wish I could sing. I've always wanted to be really girly and get creative with my makeup and hair. I wish I was a little bit taller so I could make the volleyball team, etc, etc. And I really wish I was artistic. Sometimes I am in awe of how artistic my siblings are. Amy, who is studying art at the U, has talent in almost any form of art. She can paint, draw, sculpt, build, etc. My brother Bryan, is the same. He has always been able to draw anything. Anna, has more style in her pinky finger than I have in my whole body and is an amazing photographer. I guess the "art gene" just skipped me. Still, my lack of craftiness and artistic ability has never left me wishing I could scrapbook. It is my own personal hell and I don't see the appeal.
While visiting Barnes and Noble this afternoon (insert "lack of life" pun here), there were two incredibly perky females working a "scrapbooking booth" outside of the main entrance. Once I saw them and the determination in their wide eyes as I inched closer to the door, I knew there was no escape. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and I'm not proud of how sarcastic and negative I was feeling, but nevertheless, the dialogue went a little something like this:

Scrapbook Enthusiast: "Hello dear, how are you doing today? Do you mind if I show you some of the new scrapbooking tools we are showcasing today?"

Laura: "Actually, I was just going inside to study. Thanks though..."

SE: "It will only take a minute hon. You look like you are creative, and I think we have some stuff you might enjoy. Have you scrapbooked before?"

L: "Well, no I haven't. I prefer to just download my pictures on my computer and leave them there."

SE: "Well, what if your computer crashed and you lost them all?" (she was obviously prepared for this) "Its nice to keep a book that is pretty to look at and that you can share with others. Do you have a husband, wedding pictures...what about kids?" (dagger in the stomach) I shook my head no, with a hesitant smile. "Pictures of all the fun things you and your boyfriend are doing...?" (rubbing salt in the wound)

L: "Is it necessary to be in a relationship to scrapbook?"

SE: (nervous laugh) "Of course not. We have a lot of examples of scrapbooks for trips with friends, family and holidays, and....oh, we have supplies here that will help you throw your OWN scrapbooking party..." (what?????)

L: (cutting her off as I'm walking towards the door) "Really, I appreciate it, but I don't think I will be getting anything today....thanks....".

I could not have run away from anything faster. I didn't feel that bad though because I was in Mesa (the Provo of AZ) and I'm sure she had a lot of interested people to bug besides me. Maybe its just me, but I do not see what is so appealing about cutting out teeny tiny shapes and letters just to put under your pictures and stick them in a huge book that people oooh and aahhh over. It seems like an unnecessary waste of paper if you ask me (I apologize to all my scrapbooking buddies). I will be the first one to volunteer to change your tire, help paint your house...I will even ooh and ahh over your scrapbook. But, for the sake of our friendship, please do not invite me to a "Scrapbooking Party".

6 comments:

Sarah M said...

Laura, I know this is totally random but I found your blog through Carlee's. Since we are basically first cousins (seeing that the grandparents are twins) I couldn't help but write and tell you that we must be sharing our great-grandma's genes or something because I feel the same way about scrapbooking! I think you're funny and a great writer. Too bad we were never really friends. I think that we would like each other. I guess it is not too late... :)
-Sarah Jones(your tall second cousin)

Sarah M said...

I never know where to respond to blog comments, but know that you will read this here... so... I am so glad we found each other, too. Heck, we're family and we need to act like it. I am all for getting to know each other better. Here is my email, sarjanjon@yahoo.com. What's yours? Also, I'd love to teach you the blog tricks. Lots of the tricks aren't "tricks" they are a result of some ocd on my part. I'll give you a quick tutorial on linking words to websites. After you write the word highlight it (with the double click) then go to the tool bar and clikc on the chain link (literally looks like a chain link), then copy and past the link into the box that pops up and whola! A link! I am such a nerd for this stuff, I love it. Email me, we'll get in touch.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh. What a clever, clever girl.

Carlee said...

You are killin' me! The funny thing is, is that I can see you doing this!

Sarah M said...

Oh, I have to add that my whole family, minus my dad and I, are artist, too. I am always pissed that this gene skipped me.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

I have been trying to scrapbook for years with little success. I have even been to scrapbooking parties. I am now a convert to the online scrapbooking. You still just put them on the computer and can have them get you a book if you so desire. Or you can leave them there. Tell you Mesa Scrapbook Enthusiast to enter the 21st century where we back up our computers in case of such an emergency.