Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sappy Moment Tuesday: National Friendship Month


So, with no help from any of YOU (which leads me to assume that Ashley really is the only one that still reads OUR "dual-blog"), I have come up with a topic all by myself. And after a brief absence, my mind has returned to its normal state of craziness and a million thoughts - and while not necessarily everything needs to be written down, it helps keep my head organized. So bear with me.

With that being said, I read way too many magazines. If I read as many books as I read magazines, I'd be really intelligent. Even more so than I am now :) I picked up an old issue of SELF magazine that I had among my collection this morning, and it flipped open to an article titled "National Friendship Month". It discussed a study done at UCLA about friendship among women and how important it is to our actual EXISTENCE (yes, I'm capitalizing for emphasis). The study suggested that the special bond between certain women "soothe our tumultuous inner world, fill the emotional gaps in our marriage, and help us remember who we really are." It went on to say a lot more, but the bottom line being that the women that nurture their friendships as one of the most important aspects of their lives, live longer, happier ones.

The article hit close to home because over the last couple of months, I have really taken the time to re-evaluate my relationships/friendships, and have learned to appreciate my own friends on a completely different level. Ashley and I were talking last night about our "relationships," and how they come and go, but the true friendships we have will remain consistent and constant our entire lives. I know I have let some of my friendships take a backseat at times, so I only hope I can be the kind of friend to those that have stuck by me through everything, like they have been to me. There are so many of my close female friends that have literally, breathed life back into me, on my darkest of days. I would not be the person I am today, nor the one I have yet to become without them (tear :)). I know there are days I take advantage of it, but will forever make a effort to always recognize them as the most important relationships I have.

So, thanks to all my friends...this post is a shout-out to you.

"You were the one who made things different, you were the one who took me in. You were the one thing I could count on, above all, you were my friend." - Tom Petty

Article:
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/gender/tendfend.html

3 comments:

whit said...

Hey Laura & Ash..you guys are too cute and I love the post about friendship. I'm glad that we have this blog world so we can keep in touch. hopefully one day i will see your beautiful faces.

Jill said...

This is lovely Laura. The older you get and the more your life gets bogged down caring for children, aging parents, the house, the laundry, demands of a husband, career, the in laws, PTA, etc. etc., the more you realize how fortunate you are to be blessed with girlfriends. I don't have sisters...but I do have close friends, and they keep me sane, they "breathe life" into me as well. I am indeed blessed and so very very grateful. Love this post.

PS. Thanks for the shout out on my blog.

tiMmy said...

even though i have a penis, i too can appreciate the blog about friendship. the realization that you recently had is one i too came to appreciate a few years ago the first time i moved away from my family and friends and had to start all over. it's amazing the depth of introspective one can gain when isolated.

and i guess since you said no one helped with giving you an idea to blog about that must mean that my idea on my last comment was complete crap. it's okay though, i think it was retarded too. what can i say, i tried.

i miss y'all!