Friday, February 22, 2008

Spotlight on: Darren and Lacey Neilson


I have been telling my dear friend Lacey that I was going to write a "spotlight" on her and my favorite friend-husband, Darren as I have become a weekend fixture at their home in L.A over the last couple of months. They are kind enough to house me, feed me, and stay up way past their usual bedtime to entertain me. I've compiled a list of interesting facts about this charming couple that I would like to share with you all:

  • They keep the temperature in their home at below freezing. There has been more than one occasion that I have woken up and could not feel my legs. I have come up with two theories of why they might do this. A. Their have such warm hearts that it heats up their entire body and they don't need any extra, or B. They are sick of seeing me around their house, and are trying to freeze me out.
  • They are Disneyland experts. This is very important to me as my love for all things Disney exceeds that of a 5 year old. They have annual passes and know how to navigate their way around the magical kingdom with such orderly grace and confidence that its almost like watching a work of art being composed. They took Cortney and me around in a such a parental fashion last weekend, that we didn't have to worry about a thing. We hit all the good rides and had the best day ever.
  • I need both of them. I kind of look of them as a team. I need them both for different things, and they both provide me with inspiration, love, comfort, guidance and an open mind (and lets be honest, if you are going to be friends with me, you need that). I look forward to my nightly calls with Lacey, with Darren in the background, half-way in the conversation.
  • They have a dog named Chip, who they treat like a child. Chip, who I have bonded with quite a bit over my most recent visits, has more toys than any child I know. I'm trying to think of any shopping trip I have spent with Lacey where something for Chip is not considered. Can't think of one. I feel sorry for my future children as they will undoubtedly be jealous of this sweet little cocker spaniel. He is spoiled rotten, and they know it.
  • They are friends with celebrities. No, I'm not talking about myself. Dr. Rey, aka Dr. 90210, is in their ward. Last Sunday, we made eye contact and he asked me how I was doing. I'm now claiming that we are friends. I love going to church with Lacey and Darren. 
  • They are hard workers who both know what they want. Darren, a fabulous student in law school, studies harder than any student I know (even when I beg him to stop and hang out with me). He is going to be a great lawyer and provider for his family. Lacey, now an official Los Angeles hair stylist, is always looking for ways she can help out their little family and is always on the move. I appreciate what great examples they are to me!
I'm hoping that you all know a little bit more about the lives of two of my very best friends. Thank you Darren and Lacey, for always taking care of me. I love you guys!!!

5 comments:

The Neilson Family said...

Laura you are an amazing friend. With a great sense of humor! We love having you visit you are welcome any time!

Erin Bradley said...

They are pretty cute aren't they!

patty said...

Love ya Laura.Little Chip is pretty fun.He get spoiled at my house too.Darren is the BEST!Oh and I kinda think Lacey is pretty speical.You are a wonderful friend to them.I wish you all the best in everything you do!!!Love Patty

Ashley and Ezra said...

Oh Laura...and oh Lacey... you guys are too cute for words!!! Love you both tons and tons, oh and I sure miss you two! Love ya -ash

Kristin said...

What I love Dr. Rey! Tell him what up from the Gublers...and ask him to fix my stomach. Love you...