Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday Afternoon Tribute

Scottsdale is really growing on me this winter. For all the complaining I did from July-December, Arizona is really making it up to me by producing some pretty beautiful days this month. Ashley and I are lucky enough to live within walking distance of a great running/biking trail that wraps around a golf course, two lakes and a huge park, so I decided to take a run this afternoon (witnesses might say it was more of a light jog/pet a dog/walk/pet another dog, etc etc...but whatever, I was exercising). As I made my way around the trail, I couldn't help but notice all the dad's out with their children today. Everywhere I looked I saw them. There was a dad helping his little toddler feed the ducks and kept holding him back as he tried to jump in the lake after them. There was another dad shooting baskets with his son, cheering him on at every shot; and another playing soccer with his daughter. They were everywhere. I was even asked to take a picture of a happy family for their dad's 45th birthday party/picnic. This continued most of the way along the trail. I think there is nothing more precious than seeing a father playing with his kids, and they were all on their game today. As I neared the end of my "run" I witnessed a particularly sweet moment where a father began jumping up and down as he watched his son whack a golf ball straight towards the hole. At this exact moment through my earphones, Chicago's, "You're the Inspiration" began playing. (This has become a continuous problem when I shuffle my songs while exercising since I have just as much sappy/church/Christmas stuff as I do other music.) Cheesy - I know, but true. Nevertheless, while it didn't help fuel my workout, it was completely appropriate in the moment and I couldn't help but get choked up as my thoughts turned to my own dad who I knew at that time was spending his afternoon cleaning up the yard and working around the house while nursing a cold. This is a perfect example of what a selfless, loving and amazing father I have. I feel so lucky to have him, and even a state away I'm reminded of and thankful for him every single day.

"Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad." ~Author Unknown

On a different note, I think I saw my first celebrity sighting today. Elizabeth Hasselbeck from The View was at the park today. It took me a second to recognize her, but I'm almost positive it was her. I think I remember hearing that her husband plays for the Cardinals??? So it fits, right? Lacey....I'm catching up!

4 comments:

Jill said...

I got some random email from Baby Center from Dreft detergent. You can go to Dreft.com and read Elisabeth Hasselbeck's blog. You are right...she lives in your neck of the woods.

Great Post Laura...as usual.

Julie said...

Dads really are so important. I am also grateful that I have such a sweet Daddy! Thanks for sharing your sweet story...Love and miss you two.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

Love your post. I think there are so many things in life like this... when you stop to think about it, you get overwhelmed with gratitude. By the way, you have the greatest playlist on any blog I've heard.

Schiffgen said...

I think you need to stay in Arizona so that i have some friends when i get down there. When are you guys coming up for a visit?