Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Gaining a little perspective....

As the end of the year approaches, I have thought a lot about the last 11 months of my life. I have thought about how much I have changed and I am always hoping that it has been for the better. I feel like I have aged 10 years in 1, but I know that the experiences that I have had are helping me turn into the person I hope to someday be. I have become acutely aware of the world around me, and I think that I have slowed down a bit. I notice more about the people around me, trying to take something good from each day. I've learned that we can gain so much from our relationships with others, and whether good or bad, it helps shape our lives in so many ways. I haven't had a overly-sensitive, cheesy post in a while, so I thought with the holidays coming up, this would be appropriate.

As many of you know, I am working at a high school in the Special Education department in Arizona. Over the past couple of months, I have gotten to know some amazing kids. Some of the biggest hearts I have ever seen have been with this program. One in particular, Dillon, has taught me more than almost anyone I have ever known. Dillon has Cerebral Palsy, a neuromuscular disorder that affects his entire body - most specifically, his motor and speech skills. His handicap is one that is so debiltating that constant supervision is almost always needed and his muscle spasms will cause him noticable pain quite a few times during the day. He struggles to walk, talk, write, etc. Daily living is always a struggle. Still, his sweet spirit is constant and he has helped me see life from a different perspective. From the moment I started my position, Dillon has always been so attentive. He is always asking if I am liking my job and if I'm "finding my way around the school Ok," wondering if he can help. Dillon always greets everyone with a huge smile, and asks how they are doing - you can tell by the way he looks at you, that he is truly listening to your response. He remembers details about your life, because he listens and really cares about what you have to say. He never judges. Never discriminates. He has a great sense of humor. He is humble. He cares. He the epitome of a Christ-like individual. He is just happy to be where he is, and grateful for those around him. At the end of each day, he gives me a hug and thanks me for my help. It makes my job seem so meaningful, even on the toughest of days. To me, it seems like he has every right to be an unpleasant individual, and get away with it. He couldn't be further from that. He has helped me realize that no matter what I go through, I have so many things in my life to be grateful for.

So, even though Dillon won't read this, he should know that because of him, I am learning more patience. I am learning the importance of charity and service. I have learned that kindness to EVERYONE is something to be striving for on an everyday basis. I understand the importance of the relationships around me and to cherish them each day. I am so lucky to have the family that I do. They support me and love me unconditionally. And even though it seems impossible, I think I love them more each day. The same goes for my unwavering, loyal friends, who bring so much love and joy to my life. I am learning to be more humble, and to strive for a more simple life. I am learning that love and kindness really do rub off on other people, and can turn a bad mood into good. I am striving to be more Christ-like and more like my sweet Dillon, everyday. So Dillon, this post is a shout-out to you, and I hope that with Thanksgiving coming up, we can all take the time to realize everything we have to be grateful for, and gain a little perspective on what is truly important....

"As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done." ("O Remember, Remember," Ensign, Nov 2007, 66–69).

2 comments:

Sarah M said...

really liked your post laura. i needed to read something like it today. i would love to meet dillon, i adore people like him. people with "special needs" are truly extraordinary. i heard once that they were so christ life in the premortal existance that they were given these "hardships" so they could not be tempted. i believe it 100%. this people are truly a blessing to have in our lives - your lucky to get to be around them (even though i am sure somedays it is quite difficult!)
chessy comment but i really appreciated your post.

Anonymous said...

great post, sounds like you've had some profound experiences and i'm sure that Dillion counts you as a wonderful influence in his life