Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"Absentmindedness is a sign of intelligence"

My mom once told me that absentmindedness was a sign of intelligence, and it is something I find myself repeating over and over to myself on a daily basis. Somewhere over the last year or so, I have become THAT girl. If there is a banana peel within a 100 foot radius of where I am walking, not only will I find it, but while slipping on it, I will land on something that will either cause me to bleed profusely, or break something. Many of you may remember how I not only slammed my thumb in my car door a couple months ago, but also locked it in there. One hospital trip and unnecessarily large ER bill later, my thumb remains attached to my hand. A couple of weeks ago, Ashley and I were in Anthropologie and while rounding a corner to the perfume table, my "Mary Poppins-sized" bag and myself took out about 15 glass candles. Immediately after the shattering of glass subsided, Ashley gasped, then yelled, "Oh, nice one Laura!" while she backed up as if not to be seen with me. The kind woman working there tried to make me feel better by telling me that they get little kids knocking stuff over all the time. Yes, little kids...and me.

So far, I have been able to hide this clumsy, and absentminded curse from my students at school. After today, that is no longer the case. It had just been one of those days. I spilled a drink all over my shirt on the way to school. My hair acted as if there was bubble of static electricity surrounding my head all day. I forgot some papers and my teacher ID card at home, and so on. While in between class periods, I was walking outside carrying a large stack of papers, when my heel got caught in a crack on the sidewalk. As a rush of panic began flowing through my entire body, I could tell that I would not be going down softly. As about 100 papers flew into the air, my ankle twisted in agony and I came tumbling to the ground. The blood immediately rushed to my face, and I laid there for what felt like 10 minutes. Its been pretty hard to blend into Westwood High School, as I am definitely the minority in a 90% Hispanic school, but now there was no hiding me. One of my sweet students who refers to me as, Ms. Soupa (Ms. Soup in Spanish...as in Campbell Soup. Creative, I know.) came to my side and didn't hide his laughter as he helped me pick up the papers surrounding me. I quickly got up and ran to my classroom. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of new nicknames for me now.

I'm thinking that this clumsy streak I have going on cannot last forever, but I will keep you all updated....

8 comments:

Katie said...

Are you a teacher too??

Beavins said...

Could you condense this to an ADHD level? Thanks!

Jill said...

I have the clumsy gene too. Yesterday, Miles drooled on the wood floor and I slipped on it and fell to the ground FLAT on my face. I sat there feeling sorry for myself because it hurt like a motha....ugh. At least Miles got a could chuckle out of it. Sigh.

The Campbells said...

I have been missing your stories! That is hilarious-something I am sure you will not soon forget. I hope your injuries are not too severe. Love you!

* said...

Regardless of what Mark says...don't change a thing about your writing!!! I love reading your stories and if you left any of your details out they just wouldn't be the same.

P.S. What grade are you teaching and how do you like it?

Kristin said...

oh laura i do miss you! hope you are having a better day. i didn't know you were teaching...english or what??

Anika said...

Laura Campbell!!!! How the heck are ya!!? I saw your blog from Lacey's... I love it! Keep in touch! Love, Anika (Allred)

Anonymous said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I' ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.