Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Inspiring Women

I love reading stories about the women in the world that are making a difference in others lives. Knowing that these are just ordinary women doing extraordinary things only makes me want to try harder to make a difference in the world around me, especially by making a difference in the lives of the people that I love most. I recently read an article on Maya Angelou, whom I consider one of the most charitable and recognized women in our society. She has accomplished so much as a writer, teacher, civil rights activist, poet, ect, and even with a trying past, has spread her message of hope and unwavering optimism throughout the world. So for today, I'm trying to balance my feministic cynicism and turn it into something postive - uplifting even - to the favorite women in my life. Though I'm not sure anyone besides Carlee and Ashley "the eternal feminists" actually read my posts, I thought I'd take some time to write down some things from some inspiring women that I've made notes of the last couple of weeks. So even if it only gets out to my two best buds...here you go:

"Astonish the world with acts of kindness." - Maya Angelou
"Change is scary. But its also inevitable. To me, that's truly exciting." - Vera Wang
"Leadership is having the courage to show true action." - Oprah Winfrey
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." - Harriet Beacher Stowe
"Don't make money your goal. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Pursue things you love doing and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa
"A woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself." Susan B. Anthony
"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." - Margaret Fuller

**Please note that my incredible Mom says inspiring things to me almost everyday, I just haven't been smart enough to write them down yet.....

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Laura and Ash - my little feminazi sister... Here's my take on the quotes. Susan B. Anthony's was my least favorite. I completely depend on Mandy, not necessarily for protection, but for everything and without her, I wouldn't be whereI am, so I am not so sure that depending on someone else is such a bad thing. You have just got to make sure that the person you choose is right. I couldn't do what I am doing without Mandy! If you girls aren't married in a year or so, I will line you up with some quality residents. They make fine hubbies!!! Coolby