Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ode to the Birthday Girl





There are few people in my life that have had quite the affect that Ashley Engar has had on me. She is easily one of my favorite people in the world, and today she turns 24! Ashley is one of those people that has a lot of friends and admirers because she is so freaking cool. I have technically known her since junior high when I would play against her in soccer. I really wanted to be her friend, but as this was my most awkward phase in life, and she was a lot more popular and only friends with the "soccer girls," we only knew each other as acquaintances. I knew deep down though, that one day we would be friends. High school was pretty much the same thing, until senior year, when she slowly crept into my life. College was our time. Ashley started out at UVSC, but sophomore year she transferred to the University of Utah and our life together began. We were majoring and minoring in the same subject, so we had a lot of classes together, and ended up rushing and joining the same sorority together. It was a match made in Heaven. We have been through a lot together, school, jobs, good/bad relationships, and have had a lot of fun times. In between all the fun times, there have been some hard life changes, and I have always been able to go to Ashley for support. I appreciate her because she always tells me like it is, and because I know she really cares. She puts me in my place and is always honest. She tries to make me cool like she is, by introducing me to new music, new people and stuff I was always afraid to do on my own. I love her because she has an opinion about everything, and can always give you a thoughtful, educated answer. She is passionate about what she believes in, and stands by her beliefs. I could go on and on, so in tribute to the birthday girl, I wrote a poem in the form of an assignment that she might give her students:
A-is for ambitious, because she has so many dreams and always encourages me to go for mine.
S-is for sarcastic, because she is.
H-is for hilarious, because she is that as well.
L-is for lovely...and beautiful and talented, etc. etc.
E-is for educated (and very opinionated).
Y-is for yawn, because she sleeps a lot, now that she is working 12 hour days.
E-is for eyes, because she always gets compliments on how pretty hers are.
N-is for nice, because she can have her moments.
G-is for great style.
A-is for admiration, because her friends feel this towards her.
R-is for RAD.

So, to sum this posting up, Happy Birthday Ashley! Thanks to your parents for having you, they did a great job. Also, thanks for being my friend. You are really good at it.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Happy Birthday Ash!! We miss you and hope you have a great day.