Tuesday, January 22, 2008

How to Flirt

It was inevitable. For those that were worried, I have started to like men again. It is not coming easily though. In high school, if you could have graduated with honors in flirting, I probably would have been at the top of my class. It was obnoxious, but that is how it was. Ashley and I have been discussing how easy it was when we were younger, even up to a couple of years ago, when we actually knew what we were doing. Somewhere between that time and now, we have lost the ability to show interest in the guys we actually like or show any sort of smoothness around the opposite sex at all. And I'm serious, it's pretty bad. I remember this boy in elementary school who used to kick the girls that he liked. We may have to resort to physical abuse. At least they would know that we were paying attention to them. Of course I'm exaggerating, but it has become significantly harder to remain cool and calm when around a crush. Ashley and I both have noticed that we freeze up around guys we like. Neither one of us could be confused for shy in most situations - we are both somewhat loud and unafraid to speak what is on our minds. At least that is what we thought. I recall a moment a couple of weeks ago in church when Ashley was stressing over possible conversation topics to a cute guy in our ward sitting next to her. Eventually, she turned to him, pointing to the large book in his lap and said, "Wow, those are pretty big scriptures." She then continued to pick up the book on my lap, and point out that they were a new set I got for Christmas. Obviously, stimulating conversation. Still, she is a lot smoother than me. I lose the ability to speak altogether, which probably looks like I'm bored out of my mind. What is really going on - is that I'm spending countless minutes trying to come up with smooth, witty things to say - all which come out really stupid, or somewhat inappropriate. It is probably best if I sit there and say nothing. We actually googled flirting today - just to see if there was a step-by-step way of doing it - just to help us out a little. This is what was found, according to wikiHow:

How to Flirt with a Guy:
1- Be conscious of your appearance.
Possibly the most important rule to remember when flirting with any guy! Not every guy wants a plastic doll. It means that you should be elegant and clean looking. You don’t need to be drop dead gorgeous. Don’t go overboard or you’ll look like you tried way too hard. Also, don’t wear clothes that reveal too much or you’ll look like a slut, most guys like breasts but that will attract other male attention.
2- Achieve the Perfect Personality.
Whenever you talk to your special guy think of the three S’s: Sweetness, Sexiness and Smarts. Sweetness comes with vulnerability, shyness and kindness. These three factors are especially important because they are what make your hottie feel especially masculine. To act vulnerable and shy try tucking your hair behind your ears, smiling charmingly and batting your eyelashes, but make sure that you practice so it doesn't look like there is something in your eye. When ever you see him in the hall ways, be sure to give him a half smile and a real flirty look. Or you could pull your (long) sleeves over your hands and hold on with your thumbs. Then straighten your arms out (downward) and maybe bite your lower lip and raise your eyebrows.
3- Act Right
There are multiple ways to act flirty, here are some of the best suggestions:
Compliments-Be sure to compliment them on things that are true. Sometimes people will make up compliments just to talk to someone, but that is the total wrong thing to do. You really should compliment on things you really like, so you sound more sincere naturally.

Intense Eye-The intense eye is a trick that models spend years perfecting. You must give your hottie an intense stare that is both sexy and mysterious at the same time. You should try practicing the look in the mirror, and if completed correctly you should feel as sexy as a celeb.

Eyelash Batting- This trick is one of the oldest tricks known to man. It gives you a sweet and vulnerable factor, which guys love because it make themselves feel powerful. Remember to practice this if you intend to use this technique.

Hair Flip and Twirl- If you want to catch a guys attention, flip your hair casually over your shoulder, twist it and then untwist it, tuck it behind your ears, or run your hands through it.

Soft Giggle and Smile-According to polls, a laugh and a smile are the sexiest things a female can wear. If you perfect your smile and laugh to be seductive and sweet, you will find some great results. Practice forcing a natural smile and laugh, it can help through awkward situations.

Magic Touch- You can learn to brush a guy in such a way that you send tingles up and down his spine. Casually tap him while laughing, rest your head on his shoulder if you’re tired and hold his hand when you're nervous; it will give him a sense of manliness and you a touch sweetie-pie, no pun intended.

I know you are all as impressed by this material as I was. The rest of this week will be dedicated to researching ways to achieve the perfect personality, the practice of batting our eyelashes without looking like there is something stuck in our eye, and ways of flipping our hair while giggling softly and looking mysteriously vulnerable. There may be hope for us yet.

10 comments:

Jill said...

So so funny. Tears rollling down my cheeks funny. I needed that today.

I'll send my 11 year old over...he is a master flirt and could give you a few pointers.

Sarah M said...

ok, i totally admit it, i bought a book once called 'superflirt' (i think it is written by tracey cox)at barnes and noble a couple of years ago because i was stuggling so much in the man department. i'll tell you what, it was the best book i have ever purchased! you and ashely have to get it, it is hours upon hours of entertainment and is actually pretty useful, plus it has awesome pictures.

The Dumas Family said...

You don't need to flirt. Just flash those wonderful dimples at him and he'll be smitten. Besides the guys in AZ are douche-bags. Don't waste your time on 'em. Save it for the not so douche-bag boys in UT. Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

I am coming down Presidents weekend!! Will you be there??

mk said...

i swear i was the only one who felt like this! i have lost all of my abilities to flirt.
thanks for the lesson from wiki-how, hopefully it will help me too!

My Name is Mike said...

Ya you had some game back in the day.....in fact, so did Carlee

Andee Belle said...

Can I just call you Cary Bradshaw?? Seriously La s' you need to write a frekin book of all of your thoughts! Oh man I love you!

Katie said...

Love it, I'm taking the advice. Shouldn't this get easier the older we get? Apparantly not...

Schiffgen said...

If anyone can understand what your are talking about it's me except it hasn't been just the last few years it's been my whole life. I love you guys and miss you. I need to come down! Check out my blog it's schiffgen.blogspot.com and click on the link...

Anika said...

That is hilarious Laura! I couldn't even remember how to flirt until I read this!